WALKSacramento seeks an enthusiastic Project Assistant to grow the impact of a small, but effective organization. This position is ideal for an early career professional with an interest in the field of planning, public health, community development, and/or active transportation.
WALKSacramento is a nonprofit planning and advocacy organization that improves quality of life and health equity through community-centered policy and systems change in land use and transportation.
WALKSacramento partners with communities as well as local, regional and state agencies to attain health, equity, and mobility goals through strategies involving Safe Routes to School, community-based planning, strategic marketing and outreach, and technical assistance.
WALKSacramento has managed Safe Routes to School programs at over 100 schools across the 6-county region and helped secure several million dollars in transportation funding through the State’s Active Transportation Program. As planning and design consultants, we implement effective engagement strategies and identify creative bicycle/pedestrian solutions. As policy advocates, we work at the local and regional levels to inform and adopt smart growth and environmental justice supportive policies. We also work with developers and land use planners to ensure development is supportive of walkable, bikeable, and transit friendly communities.
About This Position
The Project Assistant will support neighborhood scale planning projects with community groups, agency staff, and other partners. The position will require coordination with a diverse range of organizations to plan events such as community meetings, site assessments, and Safe Routes to School activities. A significant portion of time will be spent working with agency staff and residents to develop community plans that improve access to schools, parks, and healthy retail. This position offers significant exposure to community decision making processes and learning opportunities in the transportation, environmental justice, and public health fields.
This posting is for a full-time assignment. We are open to considering a part-time schedule for the right candidate.
Compensation and Benefits
- $22.00 per hour
- Competitive medical expense reimbursement plan
- 12 days of paid vacation per calendar year and 12 days of paid sick leave per calendar year
- 12 paid holidays per calendar year
Support the WALKSacramento team in:
- Implementing Safe Routes to School programs
- Organizing community events and building relationships with neighborhood stakeholders
- Translating community priorities into neighborhood and community plans
- Working with community partners to lead participatory planning projects
- Communicating built environment recommendations, findings, and data using creative, informative, and visually compelling methods
- Reviewing development projects and advocating for policy change
Qualifications and Skills
The ideal candidate will be a highly self-motivated individual who enjoys working independently as well as part of a dynamic small team. Desired qualifications and experience include:
- Experience with community outreach and data gathering; experience implementing innovative community engagement strategies
- Knowledgeable about public health and transportation planning
- Passionate about transportation equity and environmental justice
- Experience with or knowledge of local planning policy and process
- Strong technical writing skills
- Social media marketing and outreach
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite and GIS mapping are desired by not required
- Multi-lingual capabilities are a plus – specifically Spanish and/or Hmong
Application Deadline: Friday, September 27th
Applications are received and interviews are scheduled on a rolling basis.
To apply, please send 1) a resume and 2) a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Use the subject line: Project Assistant Application – Last name, First name
WALKSacramento commits to advancing equity and diversity in all that we do. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, and particularly encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, women, and individuals with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQ community members, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community. WALKSacramento provides a workplace that is free from discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color, religious creed, national origin, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, veteran status or any other classification protected by applicable law in employment or service policies and practices.