WALKSacramento seeks an enthusiastic Community Planning Project Assistant to grow the impact of a small, but effective organization. This position is ideal for a college student or early career professional in the field of planning and/or public health. This is a great opportunity to make a large impact in the Sacramento region.
WALKSacramento works to address community transportation concerns across the region, especially in underrepresented communities. Through cross-sector collaborations we seek creative solutions for planning, designing, and funding active transportation projects. WALKSacramento has managed Safe Routes to School programs at over 100 schools throughout the 7 county region and helped secure over $18 million in transportation improvement funding. As planning and design consultants, we implement effective engagement strategies and identify creative bicycle/pedestrian solutions. As policy advocates, we work at the local and regional levels to inform and pass smart growth and environmental justice supporting policies. WALKSacramento also works with developers and local agencies to incorporate design best practices into development projects of all sizes to advance regional air quality initiatives.
About this Position
The Community Planning Project Assistant will assist on community based planning projects with residents, agency staff, and other stakeholders. The position will require coordination with a host of partners to plan events such as community meetings, site assessments, and other engagement and information gathering activities. A significant portion of this position’s time will be spent working with agency staff and residents to develop community plans related to school, park, and healthy retail access. Other tasks may involve Safe Routes to School programs, reviewing and commenting on development projects, assisting advocacy campaigns, and grant writing. The position offers significant exposure to community decision making processes and learning opportunities in the transportation planning and public health fields. The position is listed as full-time and is guaranteed for at least one year. We are also open to filling the position on a part-time basis.
- Organize community outreach and data gathering events
- Participate in community walking/biking/community design assessments
- Develop data driven planning documents
- Work with community members, agency staff, and other partners to implement participatory planning projects across the Sacramento region
- Communicating built environment recommendations, findings, and data using creative, informative, and visually appealing methods
- Assist in reviewing development proposals and implementing Safe Routes to School Projects
Qualification and Skills
The ideal candidate will be a highly self-motivated individual who enjoys working independently as well as part of a dynamic team. Specific qualifications and experience include:
- Experience with community outreach and data gathering; experience implementing innovative community engagement strategies is desired
- Well versed in the connections between health and the built environment
- Passionate about transportation and sees equity and environmental justice as a priority
- Experience with and/or knowledge of local planning policy
- Strong technical writing skills
- GIS mapping experience is a plus
- Proficiency in computer and technical skills, including Microsoft Office Suite and social media -Adobe Acrobat Suite and online project coordination experience is a plus
- Thrives in an environment where specific tasks are not always assigned
WALKSacramento commits to advancing equity and diversity in all that we do. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, and particularly encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, women, and individuals with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQ community members, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community. WALKSacramento provides a workplace that is free from discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color, religious creed, national origin, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, veteran status or any other classification protected by applicable law in employment or service policies and practices.
Application Deadline: April 20th
Applications are received and interviews are scheduled on a rolling basis. Application window can close any time.
To apply, please send 1) a resume and 2) a cover letter to email@example.com. Use the subject line: Community Planning Project Assistant Application